As ever, much is taking place in the Abbey community – relating to
groups, projects, community facilities, play area refurbishment, meetings and
1. ABBEY PEOPLE
See photos and write up of recent open meeting on the Abbey in Cambridge
Activities that have taken place over the year were reviewed. There were
updates from Abbey People's Chairman, Stuart Wood, and the 3 community workers, Keith, Nicky and Jon (funded by Cambridge City Council, the People's Health Trust and Comic Relief respectively). Discussions took place about future activities, involvement and how to take the project further. It was decided to delay
the AGM part of the meeting until later in the year (after the end of the financial year).
Would you find more community notice boards around Abbey useful? If so where would good locations?
Next ‘Senior’s Groups/Services’ networking meeting – Tue 13th May,
Cambridge Utd FC Dublin Suite
2. New activities are often starting up in Abbey ...see Abbey People’s
for more details
Mondays evenings - FITSTEPS Fitness that's 'Strictly' fun at East Barnwell Community Centre.
6pm. Learn to Dance and get fit in a fun friendly environment. No partner required. Like Strictly Come Dancing...then you will Love Fitsteps! £5 per class - no need to book. For further info. contact Liz Priestley 07812610154
Wednesdays - RHYMETIME at Barnwell Road Library has restarted! - for babies from birth to 18 months (and their parents and carers!) 1.45-2.15pm. It's FREE! Come along and join in the fun, sharing songs and rhymes! Please ask about the Bookstart Bear Club.
3. Have problems with anti-social behaviour ? - ASB MEETING Monday, 10th March, 6.30pm – 7.30pm Barnwell Baptist Church Howard Road, CB5 8QS. Cambridge City Council’s Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) team would like to invite you to the above meeting to talk about any ASB issues you may have. To be joined by the local police team, housing officer, councillors and other agencies. If you cannot make it and are experiencing ASB, then do contact 01223 457950 or
4. FUNDING OF OVER £1.8m has been approved for a new community centre in East Barnwell.
The current East Barnwell Community Centre building in Newmarket Road will be transformed into a community hub, incorporating a library, pre-school, community facilities, and an office base from which Cambridgeshire County Council can deliver local early preventative services. The nearby Barnwell Road
library will move into the new building, while facilities for the SeeSaw Pre-school will be expanded and improved.
The scheme will be funded by £1.25m from Cambridgeshire County Council’s Effective Property Asset Management (EPAM), Government funding of up to £300,000, developer contributions of £255,000 and £50,000 from the County Council’s youth service.
5. Archaeological excavations now taking place at Harvest Way, near old part of Barnwell. So far have investigated 19th century archaeology of the site - found remains of buildings, including two with cellars, that can be traced on maps of the area ...high hopes of being able to match names to houses by looking
at the 19th century census returns.
6. Barnwell & Fen Ditton Local History Society presents: ARCHIVES OF CAMBRIDGE with Mr Philip Saunders at the Community Wing, Abbey Meadows school, Galfrid Road. Wed. 19th March at 7.30pm Refreshments, Raffle. Members £1, Non-members £2. Contact: Brian Woods 01223 294342
7. SHAKE RATTLE & ROLL Spring Singalong. Sat. 5th April East BarnweTea, coffee and delicious homemade cakes. Wear fancy dress and sing in the spring! £6 adults, £3 per child, £2 for children under 6 months. Booking essential:
8. New Flashpad Facilities Coming to Abbey Paddling Pool. Refurbishment works to replace the existing paddling pool with new facilities will commence in March, ready to open for the normal summer season on Mon. 26th may. Designs at Further info: contact Recreation
Team 01223 457539 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. OTHER EVENTS, etc.
Fortnightly CREDIT UNION Collection points in Abbey (Fridays 2-4pm)
Barnwell Baptist Church, Howard Rd – March 14th, April 11th
East Barnwell Community Centre – March 28th, April 25th
East Area Committee – next: Thu 10th April – Cherry Trees, St Matthew’s St from 7pm
Home-Start Cambridge & District, based at The Fields Children's Centre, is now actively recruiting for volunteers to join their new preparation course which commences at the end of April. T 01223 210202 Eoffice@homestartcambridge.co.uk